Wednesday, July 3, 2013

WOYWW: Vintage Buffet turned Shabby TV Stand

We've had some crazy weather recently. Our whole neighborhood received some massive winds last week on Thursday. Leaving us with trees down everywhere, power out, water out etc etc. Took many hours to get everything cleaned up so we could even get down the street. Was a "fun" weekend to say the least. Luckily the weather wasn't the super insane heat and we had pleasant weather over the weekend, until the power and water were restored. 

So while I do not have pictures of my Craft Desk this week, my "desk" this week was my front porch. Be sure to head over and share your space with everyone at Julia Stamping Ground. 

I decided to make the best of the decent weather and work on something outside. I bought this old buffet for 30 dollars at a garage sale and just knew I wanted it to be a shabby TV stand. It's ornate features and curves just has me from the moment I saw it. And for 30 dollars I couldn't pass up such a good deal. It only took me about 4 hours to complete, thankfully because the weather was nearly perfect for fast, non sticky drying of the piece. 




This is how this beauty started out. Not too bad and in overall good condition. 

I just adored the curve along the top of the buffet and how the top drawer held the same curve. 



We kept the hardware on it and just gave it a flat black paint. 

First we took it outside and have it a good sanding. A gritty paper first them a super fine grit. I didn't worry to much about making it perfectly smooth and some of the imperfections to me add a heck of alot of character. 



After we got it all sanded we dry cloth wipes it down and then a wet cloth and allowed for it to dry from cleaning before painting. Then We applied a normal gallon of pre-mixed antique white to the entire piece as well as the drawers. We applied 3 thin coats to get the look we were going for. We painted top a flat black. We applied 3 coats of the black to the top. 

I then gave it a faux weather look, but randomly applying some of the flat black to the edges and dry brushing it here and there. I just kept doing it until I felt good about how it looked. 



Then I brought it inside to see how it would look in my home. While I loved how it looked on the porch, inside is always a little different. You know it's like when you try on something at the store, love it, get it home and put it on and the light or something is different and it just looks "different" I was happy with how it looked. 

I had considered making a few of the drawers into flat shelves instead. But upon looking over it decided against it. 



I got all of the hardware attached and put everything in the drawers, like the DVD player, cable box etc. We bought a nifty little device from Best Buy that allows for all devices to be in drawers or wherever and still transmits the signals from your remotes without having to have them out in the open! Makes everything so much cleaner!







And this is the final project! Thanks for stopping by. 

12 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous dresser. It turned out really great.
    Happy WOYWW and I wish you a lovely week.
    xx Monique #74

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh! gorgeous gorgeous! I'm pinning this for dh to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could give up your day job and re-paint furniture! I love what you have done with this piece. #49

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks lovely!
    Just be sure that the electronics do not get too hot hidden away in the drawers. Overheating can cause them to malfunction...AND even catch fire in the case of a computer tower if the fan quits working.
    My parents had that to happen!! EEEKK!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it turned out beautifully, such a wonderful difference in the before and after. Especially love the contrasting top. Nice touch! Deeyll #123

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great love the shabby look of it with the black top looks fantastic. We like to give old furniture new looks too and my dressing table is one of those things we have done up.. It was my grandmothers, when I was asked if I wanted anything from her house after she passed away that was the one thing I asked for.. Everyone said wow why do you want that old thing but my husband did it all up and everyone can not get over it.. It just does not look like the same piece of furniture and I Love it to bits.. A lot of furniture is just so tackily made, there is nothing like a good old wood piece of sturdy furniture. Thanks for sharing yours today.
    Sandy :) #42

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness how pretty! I do believe my brother has the twin of that dresser holding up his TV...but he didn't do anything to it and it's just old yellow. What a disaster to lose that tree...
    Jean 8

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so good, nice one.

    Cazzy x
    #113

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great piece and love the colors you chose! And for $30?!! Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how gorgeous - it came up so fantastic. Such a lucky find :-D
    Glad your weather has settled a bit - that tree was astonishing !!!!

    Happy WOYWW

    IKE x #30

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my days that is one heck of a tree that has come down your weather must have been frightening.
    I love Love Love what you have done with that dresser it is stunning and great piece of art
    Happy WOYWW enjoy the rest of your week
    Ria #52

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the dresser. I just got a dress that no one wanted at a rumage sale we had at our church... it stunk so bad so I put fabreez all in it and it was a whole different smell, yayaya so I am going to try your paint idea ;) Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! Let me hear what you have to say!