Friday, August 24, 2012

Tutorial- Wire Rack Paint Holder

This picture below was a picture I saw when looking through Pinterest. However, my biggest pet peeve with Pinterest proved correct on this photo. There was no original post linked to it. Just a picture in a forum and it wasn't submitted by the original creator. Hate it when that happens, so I can neither credit the original maker of this or learn from how she made hers. Anyways, I came upon this and then when at a garage sale an across a whole box of these wire racks. They are the ones that can be made into storage cubes. 

Currently all of my acrylic paints are stores in drawers near me. I've been looking for somewhere to make them more viable, as I'm notorious for not remembering what I have and purchasing more of the same color. I'm hoping that then being out in front of me will make me see I already have them more often. That's my thoughts anyways, we'll see how well it works. 



I didn't take a picture but these were just plain metal. I painted them a fun teal. Then added some spools of thread. Now I would recommend after learning to use WOODEN SPOOLS. The cheaper plastic ones... umm don't work as well. TRUST ME! They don't work as well and can break under the weight. 

There are alot of size combinations you can use. Large spools, mini spools, even stacked mini-spools. 


Next run a zip tie through the spool as shown.

Now pull the other end through as shown. Around the metal corner. 

Secure the zip tie. 

I then choose a ribbon to run through the spool OVER the zip tie. This will cover them up so their not so ugly. 

Do it to both sides.

Cut off the ends of the zip ties. 

Hand on secure nail. Use a screw and anchor. Keep in mind that these paints will weight quite a bit. It needs to be as secure as you can make it.

This is the first one partially filled. 




Here it is hanging.

Here is another ones I have with no ribbons as they could also sit on a table. please excuse I took this picture before butting the zip ties. 

I just adore how visual this is!!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this. I was trying to find a tutorial on this, because I had seen it on pintrest too. I used the wood spools and it worked great .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this. I also saw this on pintrest but wanted a tutorial. I used the wood spools for mine and it worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this. I was trying to find a tutorial on this, because I had seen it on pintrest too. I used the wood spools and it worked great .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello

    I love this idea! Are you making these and selling them? I will need 6 of them. Are you on Etsy or Ebay?
    Please let me know. If you aren't selling them, can you please let me know where I can get the racks.
    Thank you
    Christine
    tomahawktoo@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not selling them. However the wire racks are the racks that you can get to make little storage cubes, like from walmart or target if you in the US.

      Delete

Feedback is always appreciated! Let me hear what you have to say!